Monday, April 30, 2012

A Microwave as a Faraday Cage!

I was going to build a Faraday Cage from copper rods and copper screen, soldered together.  I also thought it would look cool, but also kinda pricey!

As I explained the concept of a Faraday Cage to a Liberal Geezer (thinks prepping is just crazy)...he suggested just using a Microwave!  It keeps radiation in, it should keep EMP out! Totally logical and in addition, my new Microwave is metal and has a grounded plug!  Uh huh.

I "Googled" this idea and sure enough other preppers though of the same thing.  One problem...it doesn't work!  I tested it this morning.  My Microwave is a 1000W metal cabinet.  I turned on my iTouch4 to do a Wi-Fi Speed Test and put it inside (No I didn't power-up the Microwave!).  Unfortunately the Wi-Fi signal still got through....although, the signal was reduced by 50%.  I'm sure the EMP signal would also get through and "goodbye" electronic gizmo's & their chargers!

Plan B...I am going to get an enclosed tin box....insulate the inside and try that in the Microwave.  I'll put an addendum to this post on results!

No comments: